Inspiration

I'd like to say we were inspired by a friend, or we did it for charity, or that it was a bet.

But it wasn't.

I suppose the closest thing to inspiration came on a May night in 2003, while leaning over the bar at Tropicocos (a stance I had become accustomed to) and seeing a small newspaper article about a young man who had completed the first ever solo crossing of Siberia.

In the winter!

On a bike!!


http://www.tim.hi-ho.ne.jp/andow/siberia/report/report7.html



It makes you step back and think; if that's possible, more or less anything is. Eoin (Owen, for the Irish - why do they make spelling so difficult?!) noticed what I was reading (or perhaps he showed it to me in the first place I don't remember now) and also seemed genuinely impressed and in awe of the achievement.

And so it began