Lead up to day 1 (Greg)

I had taken my old bike into the local shop to see what they could do for me (rip me off was the answer it later transpired!) and the guy promised to get it into reasonable shape for a long ride. I had not used it since leaving for Japan over 3 years before, when it had been vandalised whilst chained up outside the station. My trusty steed had been collecting dust (and rust) in my parents shed, and needed more help than I was able, or willing to give it. The bike mechanic charged me £100 to get the beast on the road, which included new tires, cogs, pedals and a chain. It looked OK, but when I test-rode it across town to my uncle's home, a pedal crank came off. Being a bit of a cyclist, Ian was incredulous that they should have put the pedals on so badly, but helped me fix it and gave me a multitool for the trip.

He found the whole plan a bit hard to understand. He had done some cycle touring in the past, but only after planning for every eventuality. He said our lack of preparation was something which he wouldn't cope well with. For Eoin and I that was the fun part - cycling into the unknown. Waking up each morning not knowing where we'd be or who we'd meet in the evening. Ian couldn't comprehend our wreckless enthusiasm, but gave me some advice on the route for my first leg to Portsmouth and wished the trip every success.

I continued my test ride to a pub in the New Forest where my parents and their friends were having a drink and food. I joined them for a couple, and was given some more sound advice about the route I should take to Portsmouth from Mike, who felt the safest and most enjoyable route would be by taking the ferry from Hythe to Southampton, then another ferry from Hamble to Warsash.